By Marcus Leach
The civil unrest that has spread throughout the country began in Tottenham last week, and despite calls for sporting fixtures to go ahead Tottenham's opening fixture of the new season has been cancelled.
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said he was "positive" the other nine games in the opening round of top-flight fixtures would go ahead.
"At 6pm [1800 BST] we will have a very clear picture," he told the BBC.
"The very latest situation is that Tottenham and Everton has gone.
"The police have done a fantastic job, but it's been a crime scene all week and the council have not had enough time to do what they need.
"The other nine fixtures are looking positive, subject to any more trouble. The Tottenham game is a real shame but we support the police in what they are doing.
"They want these games to go on as much as we do."
An official statement from the Tottenham Hotspur website read as follows:
"Following ongoing discussions with the necessary authorities regarding this weekend's Premier League home match against Everton, it has now been confirmed that this fixture will be postponed due to safety concerns relating to infrastructure of the High Road and access to the stadium caused by last Saturday's riots.
"We apologise for any inconvenience caused to supporters due to matters outside of the control of the Club. We shall update fans on when this fixture will be rearranged in due course."
Join us on