Travel Travel

A replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7, which was confirmed as safe by the company, has caught on fire on a Southwest Airlines flight, causing the plane to be evacuated shortly before take-off.

The flight, scheduled to fly from Kentucky to Baltimore had to be evacuated after the smoke was reported in the cabin mid-morning.

The phone’s owner told technology website The Vergethat he had only bought the device on September 21, when Samsung began selling new versions of the device that it said did not have the same battery problems.

Just last month, Samsung issued a recall of 2.5 million Note 7 devices after multiple reports of a fault with the battery.

At least 92 reports of the phones said the battery had overheated and broke in the US, meaning Samsung offered to replace the potentially dangerous device with new phones that had improved batteries.

It’s not the only Samsung device that has received danger warnings. Last week the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a warning regarding Samsung’s top-loading washing machines manufactured between March 2011 and April 2016, which they said can explode with no warning while running. They added that these units could reportedly cause significant damage to homes and potentially residents.

Brian Green, the devices owner, said the phone began smoking in his pocket shortly before taking off. He then dropped the phone and the flight was evacuated.

Mr Green explained how the device had burnt a hole through the carpet and floor of the plane.

Samsung said: “There is no evidence that this incident is related to the new Note 7. We are working with the authorities and Southwest now to recover the device and confirm the cause.”

In a string of recent hazardous device reports, the government has ordered manufacturer Whirlpool to do more to ensure customers know the risks of dangerous tumble dryers after a faulty Indesit machine caused a series of tower block fires in Shepherd’s Bush in August.

The blaze ripped through the 18-storey tower block and caused more than 100 families to evacuate.