By Jonathan Davies

The number of young people who were not in employment, education or training (NEET) fell in the second quarter of 2015, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The ONS said the 16-24 year olds who were NEET fell to 922,000 during the quarter, down 21,000 from the previous quarter and 44,000 from the same period last year.

The percentage of young NEETs is now 12.7%, down 0.2% from the previous quarter and 0.5% on the same period last year.

The ONS figures show that just under half (47%) of those young people who were NEET during the quarter were looking for work and were therefore classified as unemployed. The remaining 53%, who were not looking for work and were not available to work (still in full-time education), were classified as economically inactive.

On the day that most of the UK's 16-year olds receive their GCSE results, City & Guilds' UK managing director Kirstie Donnelly, says the NEET figures should be praised, but more still needs to be done.

She said: “It’s positive to see a fall in NEET numbers across all age groups, and I imagine many will cheer these figures. But the reality is that more than 15% of young people are still out of work and not in education or training. On top of last week’s disappointing unemployment figures, this remains incredibly concerning.repliki zegarków

“The media today will rightly celebrate the achievements of young people in their GCSEs, and for many people, today marks a first step towards achieving the career they want. Yet at the same time, scores of teenagers remain in danger of falling through the cracks. At the heart of this is a consistent failure to prepare young people for the workplace of the future and train them for the jobs that actually exist in their areas. We need to get far better at using labour market information and up-to-date data on skills gaps to shape careers advice, in order to make the term ‘NEET’ a thing of the past.”