Small businesses in London, Cardiff, Leeds, Birmingham, Leicester and Gloucester are receiving digital advice from Google to help them capitalise on the upcoming Rugby World Cup.

With nearly half a million international visitors anticipated in the UK for the tournament, the Rugby World Cup is expected to boost local economies by £869 million. The intiative is designed to help small businesses capitalise on this by learning crucial skills for the digital age and using the power and reach of the internet to target potential customers.

Powered by Google My Business, small business champions will give local businesses in the tournament's host cities on ways they can display their business' information on Google search results and Maps, making it easier for rugby fans to find them.

Eileen Naughton, Google's managing director for the UK & Ireland, said: "While the majority of UK small businesses recognise the importance of having a website and using basic digital tools, less than 30% of SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises) have an effective online presence. We want to help jumpstart the other 70%. Google is a proven growth engine for small business. We believe that giving small business owners access to expert advice will help bolster the UK's reputation as one of the most advanced digital economies, and cement its place as the most advanced e-commerce market in the world."