C. and J. Clark International Ltd, better known as Clarks, is a British, international shoe manufacturer and retailer based in Street, Somerset, England.

For the year ending January 2010, the company made a profit of £125 million on sales of £1,174m, making it the 33rd largest private company in the UK.

It is 81% owned by the Clark family, with the remaining 19% held by employees and related institutions.

Started in 1825, by Quaker brothers Cyrus and James Clark, as a business making sheepskin rugs and slippers, using out-workers in the village, it has expanded to become a global shoe brand, with operations in Europe, the United States and the Far East.

Source: Wikipedia