The old model of brand planning saw agencies spend 90% of their time on the theory; bolting down the positioning strategy, agreeing the creative interpretation and then committing all this to guidelines. The remaining 10% was handed over to the implementation partners to bring this to life across everyday touchpoints, with a few crossed-fingers that the end result resembled the concept. UX designers invert that model, testing and evolving a product or service as they go. Through this model, brand creation becomes a circular, rather than linear process.

By employing these five principles (not guidelines!) we believe that brands can not only adapt to the digital age, but thrive in it and create a strong foundation for whatever the future holds.

By David Partington, Senior Consultant and Meyric Rawlings, Head of Digital at Dragon Rouge