By Daniel Hunter

The average time spent watching TV fell in 2013, according to official figures.

The latest figures from the Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board (BARB) show that, on average, people spent three hours, 55 minutes and 30 seconds watching TV every day in 2013.

Good weather and a lack of global sport events have been tipped as the cause of the fall. The nearly three hours spent watching TV in 2013 was nine minutes less than the average in 2012.

The London Olympics pulled in huge audiences, supported by the Euro 2012 football tournament.

This year, BARB expects the FIFA World Cup in Brazil to boost viewing figures once again.

Rise of the tablet?

Despite the rising popularity of being able to watch live television on mobile devices like laptops, smartphones and tablets, TV is still the overwhelmingly favourite way to watch.

In fact, 98.5% of viewing was done on a television set, with the remaining 1.5% done on those devices.

Join us on
Follow @freshbusiness

powered by Typeform