By Alexia Leachman, Personal Branding Coach at Blossoming Brands
You don’t need to worry about personal branding if…
- You are sitting on a beach with your millions in the bank and have no other plans in life other than to sit on the beach/yacht soaking it all in.
- You have a guaranteed job for life that doesn’t involve having to engage or influence others.
- You’ve decided to opt for the hermit lifestyle and no longer wish to engage with other humans.
- You have no need or interest in increasing your income, progressing your career or growing your business.
- You’re joining a monastery and have been told that it doesn’t have an internet connection.
- You’re taking a 3-year vow of silence.
In any of these scenarios, stressing about your personal brand is futile and I wouldn’t recommend it. But if none of these resonate with you, then the chances are that taking personal branding a bit more seriously will be very relevant for you. Particularly if you are keen to progress your career or business and want to live a happy and fulfilling life. That might sound a bit grand, but it’s true.
There’s no escaping the fact that in order for us to flourish we have to engage and interact with other people. Our ability to influence and lead others is directly in proportion to our propensity for success, so understanding how we come across and what we want to achieve is paramount to achieving this.
So what might be stopping you? In my experience, it’s head trash: your inner voice that’s your own worst enemy;
- If I start taking this seriously and fail, then what? I’m a failure
- What have I got to offer the world, I’m no-one really
- I’m not really good enough to compete with those other experts/businesses out there
- People don’t want to do business with me because I’m crap at what I do and I should accept it
All these thoughts are surprisingly common and are very damaging. By believing them and letting them take hold, we’re missing out on being awesome. So why would we do that? Once we clear the head trash and create head space we are able to understand clearly who we are, what we’re about and what we want out of life. The natural next stop then is to get on with it and make it happen.
But maybe you have made a stab at working on your personal brand, and you’re just not convinced because it doesn’t seem to be working. Read the next article: How to tell if your personal brand isn’t working for you.
Alexia Leachman is a Personal Brand Coach and Head Trash Liberator at Blossoming Brands. She helps entrepreneurs find their mojo by helping them to tell their story, raise their profile, build their digital presence and manage their reputation. You can find out more at www.blossomingbrands.com and www.headtrash.co.uk And you can follow her on Twitter as @AlexiaL and @BBrands
Join us on