1.Be PreparedThis is the basic stuff like charging your laptop, looking up the directions the day before a meeting. It’s simple but being prepared gives you confidence. Being unprepared, makes you anxious.
2. Do your researchKnow your market, know your prospective client, know your product and service. The more prepared you are the better you’ll be able to handle client questions. If you’re well prepared the client will have confidence in you too.
3. Introduce yourself with the 4WsDon’t stop at who you are, where you’re from and what you do. Tell the client what’s in it for them. Tell them how you help people like them.
4. Use open questionsAsk open questions like “who, what, where, when, how and why” because they encourage the client to talk more. The more open questions you ask the more you’ll learn about their needs.
5. Listen upDon’t just wait for your turn to speak. Actively listen. Repeat it back to check you understand and use what you hear to ask more relevant open questions.
6. Get to the needIf you follow step 4 and step 5 you will get to the need. But you need to confirm that’s what they really want and you need to understand if there are any barriers. All you have to do is go back to Step 4 and Step 5 until you’re confident you’ve got it.
7. Ask for the orderClosing! Yep I know this can be hard to face up to. But there are simple ways to do this, like the assumptive close, the alternative close, or even the fear close. If you’ve followed the process this far you should be feeling much more confident about actually asking for the order.
8. Overcome ObjectionsWhat do you mean they aren’t sure they want to buy? It’s ok don’t panic, just go back to Step 4. Use your open questions and probe for why they aren’t sure. Listen (Step 5) and repeat until you can give them the answers they need to hear to close the deal.
9. Deliver to expectationsDon’t mess up now! You’ve sealed the deal, but now you have to deliver on your promise. Make sure you deliver the best possible customer experience so they stay your customer for a very long time. Think about how you can wow them.
In a hurry? Don't worry..If you want to get the lowdown on Process and the other four key pillars of successful sales, I've put them all together in my new online course.