Vaughan Rowsell, Founder and Chief Product Officer at Vend, shares what ecommerce ideas can be added to a brick-and-mortar store’s basket.
The death of the high street continues to be a regular story in our media. Articles regularly cite ecommerce as the force that’s grabbing market share from traditional brick-and-mortar merchants, diverting customers away from wholly offline stores. Yet research also shows that online retail can help drive in-store traffic. That’s because physical and digital retail don’t have to be rivals – they actually work better as allies.
Having spoken to and advised Vend’s own customers, we’ve seen first-hand how having a sophisticated, omnichannel online presence has been central to the survival and success of brick-and-mortar stores. By using some of the technological tricks enjoyed by online retailers, physical stores can operate more intelligently and successfully. Here are 5 lessons physical store owners can learn from online retailers:
- Use data analytics to make more profitable decisions
- Personalise the customer experience to connect better with shoppers
- Display product ratings and reviews
- Be proactive about collecting reviews from offline shoppers
- Investing in content and email marketing to raise brand awareness and drive store traffic and repeat purchases