By Daniel Hunter
BP has urged a judge to reconsider the ruling of "gross negligence" made over the huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010.
Judge Barbier's ruling last month means BP's total fines for the disaster could be increased by $18bn (£11.1bn). The oil giant has said it has already set aside $42bn for the disaster.
But BP said his ruling was based on evidence he said he wouldn't have considered in court. The oil giant is calling for a new ruling or a new trial entirely.
Eleven workers were killed during the worst offshore oil spill in US history.
BP said in a statement: "Through its motion, BP has asked the District Court to amend its September 4 Order or, in the alternative, to grant a new trial because the Court's findings and conclusions are based substantially on expert witness opinions that the Court appropriately and expressly excluded from evidence at trial.
"Because those opinions were excluded by the Court, they cannot support key aspects of the Court's findings, which should therefore be set aside.
"... the Court should order a new trial to permit BP to explore the lack of basis for the witness's opinion."
You can tweet your reactions to @freshbusiness or email email@example.com
Join us on