By Louise Findlay-Wilson, Creator of PrPro and owner of Energy PR
Someone asked me only last week “how can I become the person my media always comes to for comment?” This is one of the most common things I get asked, so I thought I’d share my 8 step guide to becoming a media pundit.
- Always prioritise them — treat the media like an important customer. When they call/email you respond promptly.
- Become known as an individual/business that is eminently quotable — don’t sit on the fence, have views, package them up in strong sound bites/pithy phrases...and share them.
- Be helpful and honest — if they come to you about something that isn’t really your sphere of expertise say so but try to point them towards someone who can help.
- Be proactive — give them a call when you have some information/news that you think they will find interesting.
- Be altruistic — also give them a call when you have some information that is not to do with your business but you think they will find useful (obviously don’t be slanderous about your competitors).
- Take key media out to lunch occasionally — they won’t always have time for this, so have a reason for the lunch (chance to update them on your plans/chat about the industry, feedback on some amazing seminar/event you’ve attended which they won’t have been to etc).
- Invite them to special briefings and events. If you are hosting a party invite your favoured media along. If it’s an event for your clients/customers they may not feel so relaxed if the media are there... use your judgement about when it’s right to include the media.
- Create media entertainment opportunities — for instance, if you are opening a new factory, launching a new product, unveiling a new menu etc, offer them a special media-only sneak preview.
If you wholeheartedly follow these 8 steps you will not only become the go-to person for your media, but your entire organisation will become more media focused & friendly which can only be a good thing.
Louise Findlay-Wilson will be speaking at The Online Business Makeover at Microsoft HQ, London on 12th March 2012. To find out the top 30 online tricks and techniques for Online PR book today! Plus, quote promotional code ONLY200 when you book and save 1/3 off the full ticket price of £299+VAT!
Join us on