It can be hard work running a business all on your own. It can often feel like you’re constantly juggling and it’s only a matter of time before you let a ball drop. But it doesn’t always have to feel like that. You could delegate tasks out to contractors, hire a new employee, or use technology.
If you choose technology, then there are a wealth of apps that could simplify your work and help you to become more organised, communicate better, increase your productivity, manage your finances and much more, right from your phone. This is perfect for those of us who are attached to our smart devices almost every second of every day. But it can also help to free up some time, so you can focus on developing a business plan, rather than feeling bogged down in invoices and meetings.
As of June 2016, there were 2.2 million apps available for Android users and 2 million apps on Apple’s App Store. Around 10% of these are business related apps (the 2nd largest category after games). It can therefore understandably be hard to decide which apps to download. To help, here is a list of 12 recommended apps to try:
- Google Docs – Whether you’re sitting on a train, waiting for a meeting to commence, or working in a café, Google Docs allows you to easily create and edit documents whilst on the go. It also has the ability for you to share documents with others and allow them to edit them too.
- Google Drive – Access your documents from anywhere, from any device, with the help of Google’s free online storage solution.
- Evernote – Create to-do lists, clip web articles, add photos to your notes, record voice memos and much more, all in one app.
- Skype – Stay connected when you’re out and about. Use Skype to send instant messages and make video and voice calls, all for free.
- Slack – Streamline your communications with Slack. It’s ideal for one-to-one or group level conversations and helps to keep everything all in one place.
- GoToMeeting – It’s not always easy to arrange face-to-face meetings, especially with a mobile workforce. GoToMeeting therefore allows you to easily join, host or schedule a meeting whenever and wherever you are.
- Xero – Manage your business finances whilst on the go, from sending invoices to recording your receipts.
- QuickBooks – View your accounts whilst on the go, send professional looking invoices, upload copies of receipts and much more.
- Trello – Manage projects more effectively with Trello. You can create simple to-do lists, assign tasks to co-workers, attach files, add comments on tasks and more.
- HootSuite – Schedule posts to your social media accounts all from one simple app.
- Buffer – Share to your businesses Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn accounts, all from one place.
News and updates
- Feedly – Keep up-to-date with your favourite websites, blogs and RSS feeds, whilst on the go.
By Elizabeth Harmon, writer for Open Colleges,