Getting The Best From Your Staff
By Lara Morgan, founder of Pacific Direct
Without a motivated and united team of staff many businesses can struggle to achieve their maximum potential. Lara Morgan, who founded Pacific Direct, has always believed in fostering a healthy, motivated workforce.
Here she shares some of her tips on getting the most out of your staff.
- Regularly, and in different settings where necessary, think about the comfort of any environment for the people concerned. Never be on a physically different level to them.
- The timing of when you talk to your people should always be thought through in relation to the message you are...
...going to give and the kind of impact you wish to have:
- Deliver bad news on Fridays – late in the day – so people have time to think over weekends, and if necessary (for really big bad news) plan a follow-up meeting for questions the following Monday.
- Always deliver good news on a Monday.
- Always talk to new arrivals on their first day.
- When you have a continual change project to report on, outside the normal reporting for a special project, set a sensible time convenient to everyone involved if at all possible. Establish that this is the time the matter will be updated in order to stay on top and to maintain momentum. And continuity of communication in such hideous situations as a redundancy process can be much more constructive than allowing destructive whispers to germinate. Keep things open as much as possible, and set a standard that communication matters and that it is always two way.
- Announcements like staff departing need to be planned correctly and celebrated appropriately with thanks. Who... continued on page two >